Top 10 things to do in Vietnam
2. Eat a bowl of noodles at any of the ‘dust cafes’ (tiny cafes that spring up on sidewalks). It only costs a $1 and don’t worry if you don’t speak Vietnamese, most offer vegetarian options and standard proteins like chicken or beef. Just point and smile.
3. Must see city of Hoi An. Beach locations and great place for cheaply tailored clothes. Nice expat population gives way to some West meets East restaurants smack in the middle between Hanoi and Saigon.
4. Take a junk trip around Ha Long Bay- UNESCO world heritage site and definitely something not to miss. Great tours like Kangaroo Cafe, located in Ha Noi (ignore the confusing website, its a quality Expat group)
5. Da Nang, Hue, and Nha Trang are all very popular cities on the sea. Hue’s Imperial City should not be missed.
6. Saigon or HMC- Check out the War Remnants Museum, Ben Tahn Market, and Chu Chi Tunnels. Don’t let the 7 million motorbikes dishearten you, you’ll soon get used to the Honda Dreams honking incessantly. I also have a top 10 things to do in Saigon.
7. Mekong Delta is a must and you can actually stay with real Vietnamese families on your visit. How is that for cultural immersion?
8. Mountainous Sa Pa- North of Ha Noi is a great place to hike and see the famous markets. Much cooler, bring sweaters and coats.
9. Mui Ne- Interesting town along the coast line with martian red sand dunes. It’s about a 1/2 day travel from Sai Gon and worth about 1-2 days of your time.
10. Ha Noi- Former capital of Communist North Vietnam in the war and where McCain spent some time at the famous Hanoi Hilton. Gorgeous architecture and culture thanks to French Colonialism with a nice big lake, Hoan Kiem smack in its center.
- Vietnam Top Destinations
- Vietnam Travel Essentials
- Activities in Vietnam
- Vietnam – More than the usual
- Top-Rated in Vietnam
- Regions of Vietnam